Weekend in Brighton: Books, Beach and ... Ping Pong

by - 10:04

A couple of weeks ago I decided enough was enough. I had been working in Brighton for about six weeks, but due to commuting from London all I had seen was the train station. 

So I made a decision  to spend a weekend exploring what the other city I'm going to spend a lot of my time in had to offer - and I absolutely loved it. It also helped that it was a lovely, sunny weekend - everything is so much better with a little sunshine. While I didn't plan to, I obviously ended up finding one bookstore, and then another, and then another. 

The first one I walked into was PSBrighton, in North Laine, which sold some amazingly beautiful art and design books at ridiculously low prices. I forgot to take a picture of the store front- which had a brick foundation, red frames and huge windows. The inside was as spectacular. 



Next was Brighton Books - also in North Laine - a second hand bookshop spread over two floors. Hard-wood floors, books from floor to ceilings. The shopkeeper was in his own little world doing his own thing - didn't really pay attention to anyone in the store. It also had a good selection of books -  fiction, art, poetry, memoirs, travel, cookbooks. 



By far my favourite was Kemptown Bookshop a stunning independent bookshop in Kemptown. 

There's only one word I can use to describe this bookstore - classy. The staff was so friendly and welcoming. If you are in Brighton it's definitely worth a trip. There supposedly used to be a cafe on the first floor, but that didn't seem to be there when I visited. Still doesn't detract from its beauty.



Studio Bookshop also in Kemptown deals with rare second hand books. It was there I found a first edition (in excellent condition) of Black Power: The Politics of Liberation ... and who can say no to 20% student discount.


In between all of that, there was a flea market, free ping-pong, stone beach and my first ever Jenga experience. All in all, it was an awesome weekend.


You May Also Like

3 Comments